If you’re struggling with repeated urinary tract infections, flank pain or concerns about kidney function, the cause may be a condition called UPJ obstruction. This blockage where the ureter connects to the kidney can hinder urine drainage, leading to many problems.
Fortunately, UPJ obstruction can be corrected through minimally invasive daVinci robotic pyeloplasty performed by the top urologic surgeons at our medical center. This advanced procedure relieves the blockage and improves kidney drainage to alleviate symptoms.
Understanding UPJ Obstruction
UPJ stands for ureteropelvic junction – the narrow area where the ureter joins with the kidney’s renal pelvis. When a blockage occurs here, it restricts urine flow out of the kidney, causing swelling and back up.
This UPJ obstruction is commonly congenital but can also develop from scarring, kidney stones, tumors or other anatomical factors. Typical symptoms include:
- Recurrent flank or abdominal pain
- Recurrent urinary tract infections
- Bedwetting or incontinence
- Nausea, vomiting
- Blood in urine
If left untreated, UPJ obstruction can permanently damage the kidney over time. That’s why early diagnosis and treatment is key.
How daVinci Pyeloplasty Helps
Our skilled urologic surgeons can now correct UPJ blockages using a breakthrough robotic technique called daVinci pyeloplasty. This minimally invasive procedure offers significant benefits over traditional open surgery:
- Extreme precision using miniaturized robotic surgical tools
- 3D visualization and 10x magnification of anatomy
- Tiny 1-2 cm incisions for minimal scarring
- Significantly less pain and quicker recovery
- Shorter hospital stay
- Lower risk of complications
- Excellent long-term results
With the daVinci robot, our surgeons can meticulously reconstruct the UPJ for optimized urine drainage while minimizing trauma to surrounding tissues.
What to Expect with daVinci Pyeloplasty
daVinci pyeloplasty is conducted under general anesthesia as an outpatient procedure. After anesthesia, small incisions are made in the abdomen for insertion of robotic instruments. Using 3D vision and tiny tools, the surgeon will:
- Expose the ureteropelvic junction
- Make an incision along the blockage
- Rebuild UPJ anatomy and reconnect the ureter to renal pelvis
- Insert a ureteral stent to support healing
- Confirm restored urine flow
- Close incisions
The delicate reconstruction is done entirely robotically with enhanced precision and control. The stent placed helps the repaired UPJ heal fully and is removed a few weeks later.
Most patients can go home the same day and resume normal activities within a week or two. Some temporary flank soreness may occur which resolves quickly with medication.
Excellent Outcomes with daVinci Technology
Our urologists have extensive experience performing daVinci pyeloplasty and consistently achieve excellent outcomes for patients. The vast majority experience complete resolution of UPJ obstruction symptoms following this surgery.
Benefits our patients report after minimally invasive daVinci pyeloplasty include:
- Long-term relief of flank pain and infections
- Reduced incontinence and bedwetting
- Improved kidney drainage and function
- Lower risk of kidney damage
- Enhanced quality of life
If you’re struggling with a UPJ blockage, consider robotic pyeloplasty for lasting relief with minimal downtime. Most insurance plans cover this surgery when medically appropriate. Call today to learn more and take the first step towards renewed kidney health.